The Value of Edcamps

The Value of Edcamps

I enjoyed participating in an edcamp as part of our Edtech class this week! What I love about Edcamps is how they encourage collaboration between educators in a way that is inquiry-driven and learner-directed, a style which reflects the ideas of authentic pedagogy that we’ve been learning about in several of our classes.
Photo by Product School on Unsplash.

Here is a table I made comparing Edcamps and Traditional Convention-style events, based on my own impressions as well as the videos we what we learned about Edcamps:

Edcamp Traditional Convention
Discussion-based Presentation-based, may involve discussion
Facilitators don’t need to be experts Expert presenters
Sessions determined the day of Sessions determined beforehand
Session topics chosen by participants Sessions chosen by organizers (may have participant input)
Casual/informal Often more formal

I think Edcamps really disrupt the idea that learning always has to come from a “higher up” authority- that is, from people who are certified experts in a topic. While it’s also important to tap into current research and expertise, there is a lot of knowledge that can be gained from having discussions with fellow teaching professionals. This knowledge could include practical teaching tips, ideas for lessons and activities, and suggestions for strategies to try that have worked for other teachers. For our Edcamp I was in a group discussing outdoor ed and I learned a lot just from listening to my classmates share their experiences both teaching and participating in outdoor ed. 

Also, I am amazed at the spontaneous way in which Edcamps are carried out. No doubt any conference or large event (remember when large in-person events were a thing? Me neither) will require a lot of planning, including Edcamps. But unlike other events, with Edcamps you don’t know what the different sessions will be about until the participants actually get there. Thus, Edcamps intrinsically place value on the interests and ideas that participants arrive with. No plans, no worries- they depend on the enthusiasm and curiosity of the educators who attend, and the willingness of people to volunteer as facilitators. And, apparently, this tends to work out pretty well! 

I think Edcamps and Traditional Conventions are both valuable in different ways. Traditional events might allow more opportunities to practice certain skills or go really in-depth about a certain topic, for instance. However, I wasn’t very familiar with the idea of an Edcamp prior to this course so it was great to learn about a different approach to professional collaboration. I will definitely take advantage of opportunities to participate in EdCamps in the future.